What type of clinician would you like SNATS to provide in Spring 2018?

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Asking for help


Dear students,

Today, a student told me that the reason he's having trouble learning music is that he simply doesn't know how: he has never taken piano, was not enrolled in Fundamentals of Music Theory, and has been relying on YouTube. I felt for him; I'd had no idea this was his predicament.

All music students are in different stages of musical development. Please remember that there is never any shame in asking for help, and no need to feel embarrassed if you DO need help. We as your professors also won't be effective if we don't know what you need or what is difficult for you. We want to assist you in your growth: it's why we are here.

Please, please, please ask if you need something or if you are struggling. We were all beginners once, and we all have different challenges. What is easy for one person might be very difficult for someone else. Reach out to your professors, reach out to your friends. Learning how to be a musician is a communal experience...or at least can be. I believe that it's always easier if you don't try to do it in a vacuum.

I know my colleagues won't mind me saying that we're here for you. And we care!

No comments:

Voice Performance Class 4/19

We will all meet together in HRH today, 4/19/19.