What type of clinician would you like SNATS to provide in Spring 2018?

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Repertoire assignments

Following are repertoire assignments for the spring. If you would like to make a request, please email me. Bring one piece to your first lesson of the spring semester, and be sure your pianist has a copy before that lesson. Lesson times will be assigned once I have everyone's schedule: please send that to me ASAP. I currently have only one schedule: please send me yours no later than January 8.We begin lessons on January 11.


Michael: Danza, danza (Durante); Che fiero costume (Legrenzi); Now sleeps the crimson petal (Quilter). Pick one and learn it for the first week of class. We'll choose French and German later!


Kristin: Se come voi (Puccini) and/or O mio babbino caro (learn "Se come voi" first). Pick one and learn it for the first week of class. We'll add more later.

Nole: bring two of your new RVW pieces to the first lesson, memorized. Plan to sing at least three pieces in the first Performance Class at the end of the first week of class. You should own the music to everything you are singing on your recital: make that a priority if you haven't already done so.

Rae: Happiness, Élégie (Massenet), An den Mond (Schubert), Che faro senza Euridice (Gluck), pick one Handel aria. Pick one and learn it for the first week of class. Purchase a mezzo-soprano aria book, preferably "Arias for Mezzo-Soprano" edited by Larsen.

Mallory: Learn "Sento nel core" by Scarlatti, found in 28 Italian Songs and Arias (Schirmer, distributed by Hal Leonard). The best volume for you is Medium Voice: purchase it by January if possible. I believe it's in the library if you cannot buy the music right now.

Madison: Learn "In uomini, in soldati" from Mozart's Cosi fan tutte. Don't worry about the Italian right now, but be rock solid musically so we can plug in the text. Buy one soprano aria book of your choice if you can: this one can be found in Arias for Soprano, volume one, edited by Larsen. The library has it, I believe.

Alyse: bring one musical theatre piece of your choice learned and ready to work for your first lesson. Please be sure that you own one of the Italian Songs and Arias books by January: please let me know if you need a recommendation on an edition.

Addie: bring one musical theatre piece of your choice learned and ready to work for your first lesson. Please be sure that you own one of the Italian Songs and Arias books by January: please let me know if you need a recommendation on an edition.

Nicole: bring one musical theatre piece of your choice learned and ready to work for your first lesson. Please be sure that you own one of the Italian Songs and Arias books by January: please let me know if you need a recommendation on an edition.

Ashley: bring one musical theatre piece of your choice learned and ready to work for your first lesson. Please be sure that you own one of the Italian Songs and Arias books by January: please let me know if you need a recommendation on an edition.

Briana: Selve amiche by Caldara (found in Italian Arias of the Baroque and Classical Eras, high voice: I believe the library has it). "Non lo diro col labbro" from Tolomeo by Handel (found in Handel 45 Arias, vol. 2, high voice). Purcell's "Nymphs and Shepherds," found in Purcell 40 songs, volume 1 (International edition, though there are other editions, too). 

Beau: Choose one or two more from Winterreise, and perhaps start one of the Ravel if you feel up to it. This can also wait till later in the semester. Look at "Ho capito" from Mozart's Don Giovanni. Have one of these ready to work in your first lesson, but don't worry about the text; we'll plug that in together.

Selina: Greensleeves, also known as "What child is this," which can be found in Singer's Library of Song, medium voice. "Se nel ben sempre incostante" by Stradella, which can be found in Standard Vocal Literature (mezzo-soprano), edited by Walters (Hal Leonard, publisher). Let me know if you need a copy, which I can send as a PDF for you to print, or I can leave it on my door.

Hunter: Let's talk. I'm not sure yet if I'll have room in the studio for you in the spring, because we have a few incoming music majors who have not yet been assigned studios, and they get first priority. I'll fit you in if I can, though, so let's keep the lines of communication open! I'm thrilled you'll be in Opera Workshop, so that we can continue your development.

As always, if you have problems, questions, or don't like the music I've assigned, just let me know. I'm happy to find other pieces if you're not thrilled with what I've given you. Do not wait until the last minute, though: everyone is still expected to have something prepared for the first lesson.

Happy Holidays, and enjoy some well-deserved rest and relaxation!




No comments:

Voice Performance Class 4/19

We will all meet together in HRH today, 4/19/19.