What type of clinician would you like SNATS to provide in Spring 2018?

Friday, August 5, 2016

20 Tiny Changes #13: turn it off

I've posted this one before, back when I did 12 Tiny Changes, but it bears repeating.

Take one day a week to refrain from electronics. No Facebook, no email, no texting (unless it's a loved one texting that they've been in a car wreck and need you desperately) for 24 hours. Maybe even...*gasp* ...don't turn on the news for a day. Really, turn it off. The world won't end, I promise.

It's hard to step away from these things that seem like they demand our attention. The first time I did it, I felt like the way I imagine smokers feel without that daily (or hourly) cigarette. I have to say, though, that once I got through that first painful day, I felt happier. Refreshed. Less anxious.

Our society is very anxious, and I believe that part of the reason are these things that seem to demand our immediate attention. *Ding* there's a text! I must answer it right now! *RING* My phone is ringing! WHO can it be? IT MUST BE IMPORTANT!!!!!!! MUST...ANSWER...NOW!

Actually, it rarely is so important that we must answer it immediately. Most things can wait a minute, and hour, or even a day.

Once you try it, you may never go back. You'll look forward to that day of rest, and your ability to delay gratification will do things for your state of mind.

No comments:

Voice Performance Class 4/19

We will all meet together in HRH today, 4/19/19.