What type of clinician would you like SNATS to provide in Spring 2018?

Monday, September 13, 2010

Nancy's musings about singing

Nancy's voice journal is always so interesting to me, I asked if I could post her musings on technique. Enjoy, and feel free to comment.
More thoughts on “fingering”-- There is “proper” fingering for each instrument TYPE-i.e.-scales on a piano. We learn these patterns by practicing over and over. Then there is an adjustment since all specific instruments are not alike. Then ANOTHER since all musicians are different. There are short cuts, workarounds, yes, but in the end, there is a best way (generally speaking) for each artist to place his notes IN his instrument, especially if the instrument is his/her body.
I think that one of the biggest things I can do to Get Out of My Way right now is to redefine what is GOOD. There is fear of not being perfect, which creates tension. Accepting what IS, and what is GOOD (i.e. good ENOUGH), will probably free me to be better than I think I can even be. It was odd, realizing that I was losing the phrase-my FAVORITE thing -because I was too worried about not hitting a higher note the way I wanted to-perfectly.For me-the Phrase is IT-the true beauty and meaning of the composer.
Reminder, another one, to be unafraid to show your heart when we perform. We should still know that SOMETHING is going on in the pieces, whether we have the translations or not. Learn your body as part of the instrument that is YOU. Tension has no place from the neck down, either...
I’m ALWAYS amazed, in a good way, at the amount of meaning that is ABLE to flow from an artist once the material is memorized, hence internalized. It’s not even a planned thing--artistry isn’t always-usually isn’t- a tangible thing. It’s magic. It’s the biggest reason that not all musicians can be called Artists, I think.It’s what separates the ones who can duplicate/repeat music from those who can create something unique.The “It” factor...

No comments:

Voice Performance Class 4/19

We will all meet together in HRH today, 4/19/19.